Music at a Glance: Anthony Hamilton


I was running fast. Hands pressed hard against my ears, my breath taunting my lungs with tiny spurts of air. I was sprinting into some unknown abyss as if my life depended on it; running from the mundane voices, home grown vernacular and repetitive lyrical content that have bombarded my ears. Every other mile or so I was able to pause, hearing a glimpse of a songbird’s sweet melody. But that was eventually drowned out by the humdrum and I was off running again. Then suddenly, as if dashing into some profound revelation, I tripped and fell onto the raspy voice of So-So Def recording artist, Anthony Hamilton. Finally, I could let go my ears, cease running and breathe!


Hamilton’s debut, Coming From Where I’m From, is lyrically filled with an authentic urban survival state of affairs while he delivers edgy vocals, supported by an effortless range that will surely raise hairs on the necks of all who take note of his spicy sophomore effort. Certainly, this project delivers a style that is heavily influenced by classic, vintage soul music. Cuts such as “My First Love” and “Since I Seen’t You” use stimulating piano riffs, Southern Baptist church organs, infectious bass lines and soulful horn expansions to capture the earthy tones of this work. Meanwhile, “Cornbread, Fish and Collard Greens” explores a lighter, more playful nature while Hamilton sings about a day in the life of the world’s oldest profession.

Anthony Hamilton succeeded in developing a soul-stirring commercial debut that will leave its audience smiling, yearning for a post-climatic cigarette. Coming From Where I’m From is definitive, serving to add the name Anthony Hamilton to the stunted list of today’s truly prolific artists.



Carlandrea Clark

Carlandréa is a freelance writer residing in Houston, Texas.
Her diverse background includes entertainment marketing/promotions,
scriptwriting, songwriting, short stories, music reviews and poetry.
Feel free to email her your comments at I_Muze@yahoo.com